Monday, March 31, 2014

How I Spent My Spring Break or Why I Took the "Architect Master Class by Juval Lowy"

Getting to where I could practice being a software architect has actually been a much bigger problem over the years than the act of trying to decide on how to structure the software or apply this framework or that one.

In one fell (week long) swoop, Juval's Architect Master Class has propelled my understanding forward by years, probably decades.
I have spent years thinking about every single topic he touched on.  But I was thinking about these things in a toxic environment where people don't just do the wrong thing, they do the opposite of the right thing.  I had been able to pull myself back to zero, but in the toxic environment, flooded with misunderstanding managers and surrounded by groupthink, I was not able to organize the material in a way that allowed me to get above zero and leverage my knowledge.  All I had done was make myself an outsider.

Now I have a new place to go.  I now see how I can go from being the outsider to being the leader, from being the one seen as the complainer whining that "we can do better," to being the one that has the direction - the plan.

Just having a better understanding of software and best practices is not enough.  You need a context that allows you to understand business people and software development process in a way that you can apply the kung fu needed to even be allowed to play the game.  This *is* the hunger games and just being good with a bow is not enough.  You need to act in a way that convinces those trying to kill you that it's better to act together and win as a team.

Juval has help me start that journey only this time I know a bit of kung fu.

No comments:

Post a Comment