Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Why you're (probably) not building your own web tools...

I think I've spotted a trend.  I've worked with a lot of brilliant developers over the years, but only a few create their own tools ( Jeremy Ruppel, Don Robins ).

Others that I thought would, don't seem to.  (I'm looking at you AKQA Boys).  If they do, they don't mention them.

The trend I've noticed is expressed by Adam Savage of Mythbusters Fame.  He's a big promoter of making and was at Maker Fair saying so.  He even wrote his own 10 commandments of making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclNcfEqYaA

The trend I think I've noticed is that if you got into software because you were smart and thought it sounded like a degree for a smart person, or you were at the head of your class in high school ( you know, head of the idiots that were back in HS ), then there is a very high chance you won't create your own software.

On the other hand, if you got into software because you were a maker, an electronics tinkerer, or because you were trying to solve a problem, realized you were good at this and then got a job - even if you went back to school and got a degree - then there is a very high chance you create your own software.



I am stunned by the number of software developers I know that don't write software.  Sure they get paid to help write someone else's software, but they clock out and that's it.  No other programming.

Personally, I think that's dangerous because the most interesting software you end up writing is never paid work.  That means that if you don't do stuff outside your job you will never do your most interesting work. That's not the same thing as saying your work is not interesting.

I'm saying that no matter how interesting it is, it would inspire you to write even more interesting software outside of your job, if you only tried.

See, I start with the premise that all software developers are essentially makers, and do it for the love of making.  Because of this, it never occurs to me that some people treat it like being a toll booth operator and just go home.

I AM a software maker.  Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment