Sunday, January 26, 2014

Traveling with Tech: Galaxy S4 and Power

TECH-UPDATE: I just took two back to back trips where I was using my Galaxy S4 heavily.  Basically I was using it constantly for photos, video, status updates, movies, TV, music and email.   I came away loving this technology for how well it worked and I am usually heavily disappointed by tech.


Here's what worked.

First, the Galaxy S4 has to be the best phone on the market.  It's huge, but not as big as the "note" series or the phablets - it's right on the border.  It's fast.  And if you know what you're doing you can keep the Samsung bullshit out of your face.  For me one of the main things about a phone is battery life.  All the other stats are useless if the phone is dead.

I was able to get about 7 to 10 hours out of the phone.  But we were getting up at 5-7am for our adventures on the McDougall trip, meaning that the phone was running out around 2-4pm.  Considering the heavy use, this is stellar performance.  So, I used two charges a day.  How?  With the Zendure Crush-Proof Model A3.

http://zendure.myshopify.com/

These battery packs are the best I've ever found.  I have 3 or 4 others and they all blow compared to this one.  First, it will charge your devices while plugged in.  When USB charging plugs are limited, this is a big deal.  Second, it has a high power port (iPads, etc) and a low power.  Most just have one type of port.   Third, as the name implies, they are tough and small.  The one I have is about the size of a deck of cards.

I where my phone on a belt clip (which the younger guys tell me is just not cool).  But with the phone plugged in to the battery pack, I could put the phone in the belt clip and the battery pack into a shirt or back pocket and charge the phone in about 90 minutes while still using it.  A cool trick indeed.  No downtime and two charges.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment