Sunday, January 26, 2014

Traveling with Tech: OTG Cable

TECH-UPDATE: Android OTG Cable


http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-Right-Angle-Micro-Adapter/dp/B005QX7KYU/

I record TV on my Windows Media Center and then watch it later.  Ted Turner may not like this but he can go F-himself as the supreme court said there's nothing wrong with this.

All those about to chime in about not watching TV you can go F-yourself too.  I just flew a combined 24 hours in the last few days and it was awesome to have something to watch.  I imagine much of what I watch is better content than 90% of what people read.

While we are at it, god I hate boomer mentality.  The medium is not good or bad, it's the content you idiots - and by idiots, I mean anyone who has ever said, "I don't watch TV."  This is a lie.

Boomers and yuppies (aka: hipsters) have made this comment about "TV" about a gazillion times when I've said I was watching TV but didn't say what I was watching.  Funny thing, you say "I watched some TV" and the "me toos" will echo, "I don't watch TV."  You say, "I watched this thing on YouTube" and no one ever says, "I don't watch YouTube."  Why?  Because that would be a stupid thing to say.  Bash content - not the medium.  Content is opinion.  Medium bashing is just stupid.   Oh, and please post some smart ass comments below.  I can't wait for those.

So, you don't watch sports?  PBS?  The news?  Crisis coverage like the tsunami, the Boston bombers or 9/11? Give me a break.  I don't even know what "I don't watch TV" means.  I'm going to start saying "I don't read anything printed on paper from the southern hemisphere."

Back to the OTG cable.  My friend Paul Dunnavant first turned me on to these.  They allow you to plug in a USB drive to your phone.  On the Galaxy S4 your device does not have to be rooted to read the devices.

So, I was able to throw a bunch of media on a variety of USB devices and then get on the plane and plug in a drive and watch some content on my phone.  This was far more convenient than what I've done in the past which required loading stuff onto my phone.

It also meant that I could shuffle content around between my laptop, usb drives and external hard drives without ever connecting my phone via USB to my laptop.  If you do connect your phone as a USB device, you know they don't have it worked out yet.  It sucks.  You can do it, but anything beyond syncing or pulling photos is just painful.

If you plan on doing stuff like this on your Android phone, be sure to have a program like "Astro File Manager" installed before setting out on the road:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro

Highly Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment