Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mastering Technology: It makes some feel stupid, others master it to feel smart

Another boomer trait I just cannot stand: "The kids are good at tech, I'll just never get it."   If you've ever said that then you are a liar.  Now, I'm not here to name call so let me point out that I'm simply stating a fact. I doubt you've spent as much time on the tech as your average 10 year old.

Case in point: I've watched 30, 40 and 50 somethings 2-finger type for decades and decades.   However, by any crazy stretch of the imagination learning to type takes around 10 to 40 hours of practice (and I'm being really generous here - 10 hours is really about all it takes).   I know, I've done it twice.  I learned to type and then I did it again when I switched to DVORAK around 1992.

So, you could two finger type for 30 years, or sit down an hour or two a day for a week with Mavis Beacon and be all caught up.  And it's the same with all this tech.  You're just a liar or too lazy to "get it."

Now, I'm the first to admit that tech companies don't make it easy on you - get over it.   Aging eye-sight can be a real problem, but most people can overcome this with good glasses.  If you can't, I'm sorry.  But I don't see this very often.  And I've made a career long study of the ways that tech is difficult.  You don't have to talk to me long before the names Donald Norman and Alan Cooper come up.

No, there are two factors that make you liars.  First, you don't use the tech every day.  Very few people can master something with occasional use.  You have an iPad but I see you with a pen and paper in your hands because it's "quicker and easier."  Sure at first.  I frustrate people because I don't have a pen or paper around.  Get on with it.

Second is that you will learn how to do something and then you wait a month (or 6 months) before trying it again and ... wait for it ... then you've forgotten how to do it.  Hey, no shit Sherlock (series three premiers tonight in the US).  I forget how to do this shit after 6 months too - just like anything, you have to be responsible about practicing.

These two things - not trying, and then not practicing - are the reason you're no good at tech.   And don't tell me you don't have time.  Some of you are bad at email - WTF?  That's only been around for 50 years.   It's ALMOST older than you are.  You can't even use the kid excuse.

And before you think I'm being unfair, the science agrees with me too (thanks Vidya): http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/01/22/daniel-goleman-focus-10000-hours-myth/

The fact is, you don't want to feel stupid so you don't put in the time.  The only difference between you and that 10 year old kid is you avoid it to not feel stupid, and they master it because it makes them feel smart.   Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment